Since 2005, Bilbao has hosted a range of different international symposia on marine and offshore wind energy. Now, after almost a decade of development, these separate events have come together to form the Bilbao Marine Energy Week event , a week where the debate centres on the development and future of marine energy. This type of events ensure the involvement of target groups, raising key stakeholders’ awareness and facilitating knowledge sharing. The third edition of this event was held in Bilbao from 27-31 March 2017 including main issues of relevance for leading agents, companies, researchers and decision-makers involved in the development of marine energy sources. Particularly, Thursday 30 March 2017 was devoted to Ocean Energy.
The conference provided the perfect framework for the organisation of the first industrial workshop of the OPERA project. The workshop session was aimed at learning from the first practical experiences of open-sea operation, identifying common challenges, best practices and needs. It brought together technology and project developers, marine contractors and test sites/pilot projects as catalysers of experience generation.
Mr Pablo Ruiz Minguela, Head of Wave Energy at TECNALIA and Coordinator of the OPERA project moderated a round table in which four speakers participated.
- Mr Carlos López Pavón, Project Manager. CoreMarine
- Dr Sarah Thomas, Head of R&D. Floating Power Plant
- Prof Tony Lewis, Chief Technical Officer. OceanEnergy
- Mr Borja de Miguel Para, R&D Engineer. Oceantec
The workshop was structured in three main sections:
- Introduction of global challenges, research goals in project OPERA and topic of discussion.
- Presentation of real experiences from different perspectives: problem faced and solutions or recommendations.
- Open discussion with panellists and attendees.
Around 80 persons attended this session.
In order to share the outcomes of the workshop to all stakeholders with interest in the experience of open-sea operation of ocean energy devices the report “Workshop on first practical experiences of open-sea operation at the Bilbao Marine Energy Week 2017” presents some keynotes related to the presentation of the participants as well as the main conclussions.